Sunday 25 August 2013

Men can't pick fruit

It's true. Well, it is in the case of Mr Quinn, at least.

Last weekend, I was cleaning the kitchen and heard a little voice over the pass saying; "This one... and another one... and this one..." When I went to investigate the commentary I discovered one very satisfied little madam and a bowlful of teeth-marked fresh fruit. By 'fresh' I mean 'purchased the day before'.

And then yesterday, I was clearing the table to make room for MEGA PLAY DOH time, and once again found that that every single piece of fruit in the bowl had been sabotaged. Only this time, they were spoilt by disgusting little bruises, and so, were relocated to the bin. I cannot look at bruised fruit; it is vile and offensive, and only acceptable when making banana loaf.

This batch of apples and pears (not stairs!) had also been purchased just days before. We were traipsing the supermarket, Alastair [Mr Quinn] with list in hand and Georgia shot-putting a punnett of strawberries into the trolley. Alastair had taken the fruit and veg responsibility and was turning over a bag of Royal Galas, presumably assessing for impacts and indentations. I even recall thinking "He knows to check the fruit; I'm impressed." Now, I'm not so sure... Knowing Alastair, it could be just as likely that he was eliminating the possibility of a Granny Smith packaging invasion.

Anyway, our day yesterday.

We did play doh. Turtles, hippos, caterpillars and the classic snail. We lost an entire morning to making, and what better way should it be lost.



Whilst supervising dough leaf shaping (caterpillar and snail food) I spied these little characters:


I can't say I'm a fan of Alastair's Buddhas as they are, so I was thinking of painting them an allover black or white. I don't think that would be rude or distasteful, would it? Of course, I need the all clear from Mr Quinn first. 

Also, this lovely Matryoshka Doll caught my attention. Georgia has acquired it from one of the grandparents and carries it everywhere. It gave me an idea for Easter craft. Fill with bags of sweets as presents for all the princesses? Toy and customary comestibles all in one? I'll have to find dolls without that shrill squeak, though. Every hair on my arms stands on edge just thinking of it.


I am now being beckoned to an invisible tea party, so I'll wrap up quickly.

Always at hand:
Trusty post-its and notepad for the muses, which often form alongside Georgia's creativity.

And the Very Hungry Caterpillar

 
Taking Play Doh too seriously since breakfast.
<3 Eric Carle <3

Tittles and Crosses

No comments:

Post a Comment